Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Good Day/Bad Day

Good Day:
I had a great day of workouts. I did my own personal training this morning at the local high school track. Here is my current training schedule:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Speedwork (alternate intervals one week, tempo the next)
Wednesday - easy 5 miles
Thursday - easy 6 miles
Friday - Rest
Saturday - tempo/pace run (4 miles); walking miles with team in training (from 0 to 20)
Sunday - long (longest has been 12 miles on the trails at Arbor Hills Nature Preserve)

Today was intervals. I did ten 400 meter intervals at 5k pace with 200 meter recoveries. I chose my goal pace of 7:25 which equates to a 1:51 400. I accidentally deleted my splits instead of saving them so I don't have them all, but I'm happy to say I only had one split over 1:51 (a 1:52 toward the middle of the intervals). Most were between 1:45 and 1:48, and I did the last 400 in 1:31 (a 6:07 per mile pace). Everything felt good.

Tonight was our usual Tuesday night training with Team in Training. Tonight we did a cool track workout that the other coach made up. He calls it 800 meter relays. Here's how it works:
  1. Identify three runners of approximately equal speed, A, B, and C.
  2. A starts and runs 400 meters alone.
  3. After the first lap, B joins A and they run 400 meters.
  4. After the second lap A takes a one lap break and C joins B for 400 meters.
  5. After the third lap B takes a break and A joins C for 400 meters.
  6. Repeat five times (each runner does five 800 meter repeats).
It's a hard workout because you don't get a lengthy recovery. You only rest for 400 meters and the other runners are running hard so the rest time is brief. I walked a few steps on my fourth repeat and was tired on my last one, but I got a nice kick at the end and finished strong. Our fastest 800 was 3:15 (6:15 per mile) and our slowest was 3:49 (7:41 per mile). Considering I did track work this morning I felt like this was a pretty good workout.

Bad Day
My car is dead. Actually, it runs, but not well, and it's not worth fixing (the repairs would be more than the value of the car). So it looks like I'll be buying a car this weekend. I'm thinking of this.

Have a great evening.

No comments: