Saturday, September 22, 2007

20k Walking PR (and negative split)

Today was the Tour des Fleurs out at White Rock Lake. This was planned as a test/practice race for our Team in Training group so I wanted to walk the race to show the team that walkers can race and compete just like runners.

I haven't done any racewalking since May so I really didn't know what to expect. I wanted to maintain around an 11:00 pace for the first half to 2/3 (there are some hills between the halfway point and 2/3 point) and then see how fast I could finish.

The result: My 10k split was 1:08:16, exactly 11:00 per mile. The second 10k split was 1:05:28, 10:33 per mile. Final time was 2:13:45. I felt good at the end and my final mile was around 9:11. I've never had a very good 20k race so this was a PR for me even though it was far from my best walking performance (that would be my 2:13:55 half marathon in 2005). But still I was happy with the results given my lack of recent racewalking training and my lack of focus on racewalking speedwork.

Everyone on the team seemed to finish well; there were some tired people but no injuries or DNFs that I'm aware of. After I finished I walked back on the course and cheered on some of the last finishers, and then I walked in with the last two. It was great to see so many people of all abilities and speeds pushing themselves toward an accomplishment. It reminded why I enjoy racing so much.

Tomorrow I'm planning to run 15 miles on the trails at Arbor Hills. I'll probably be slow and tired, but what better way to train for ultras?

But before that, tonight is the Deerhoof concert at the House of Blues. They are weird, really weird, and that's why I love them. Unfortunately my family just loathes them so I'll be attending the concert alone. I hope it's as good as I think it will be. For a little taste of Deerhoof, see below.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Congrats - that is a great time - good race!!!