Sunday, July 22, 2007

Disappointment at Blazing Saddles 5k

Today was my first 5k as a runner. The race was the Blazing Saddles 5k at White Rock Lake in Dallas, TX. It's a duathlon (run/bike/run) and a 5k, so the 5k field was pretty small (the field was also small because there was a BIG 5k/15k the day before).

My goal was to break 24:00, which meant a 7:44 pace. I felt confident about hitting that considering some recent training (I did two miles tempo this week at 7:35 and 7:40).

Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned, and I'm not sure why. My first mile was too fast. I did it in 7:40, but that doesn't reflect that at one point I was on track for 7:18 (according to Garmin) and had to slow it down. So that is probably my problem, going out way too fast.

My next mile was 8:04, so I knew I was in trouble as far as my goal was concerned. The third mile was a very disappointing 9:20; I actually had to take some short walk breaks. I just didn't feel like I was getting enough oxygen.

I had enough gas left at the end to sprint for about .2 miles; my final .11 miles was in 0:42, a 6:22 pace. Final official time was 25:49. Because the 5k was so small, I actually came in 5th in my age group and got a medal; if I had met my goal I would have come in 2nd. Oh well.

This was a test race; I just completed week 4 of the 8 week Hal Higdon Advanced 5k program. So I've got four weeks to continue working on my speed and my base before my goal race. Why, you might ask, did I choose the Advanced 5k program? Good question. Since I had a lot of experience racewalking long distances, I couldn't see dropping back to short easy runs. I felt like the speedwork would give me the challenge I needed. Maybe this wasn't the best decision, but I'm halfway through now and don't want to switch. I'll just keep up the training and see what happens in four weeks at my goal race.

On a positive note, I got out this afternoon and did a few miles on the trails. I was fast in the beginning, slow in the middle and fast at the end. This was my first run on trails and really my first time on the trails in a long time due to all of the rain we've had. It was over 90 and sunny when I started, but the trails offered enough shade to keep the temperature bearable.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Hmmm, that seems familiar:

44 Ollie Nanyes 47 M Peoria 25:18 8:09

(that was this April, after mostly swimming).

Speed will come; you just need to give your leg muscles time to adjust to the "lifting" motion. ;-)

Anonymous said...

At least you got a medal and it was a learning experience. :)aprilanne