Sunday, June 24, 2007

Why am I here?

Well, I've decided to run. I've been racewalking for four years (and I'm a racewalking coach for Team in Training), but I've decided I want to do something different. You can read all about my racewalking history here on my old blog. This blog will maintain my running efforts and training.

Why run? I don't know. After my last race (FANS 24 hour) I felt a need for a change. I was a little tired of ultras (I won't give them up forever, but I felt like a break) and, to be honest, I felt a desire to go faster. I just want to see what it's like to run. The few times I've run on trails in the woods have been wonderful, such a great feeling of speed. So I'm going to run for a while. I've been running for a little over two weeks now, gradually trying to increase my speed and endurance.

A "fantasy goal" that I have is to qualify for the Boston Marathon before I turn 40. That means I'll have to qualify for 2008 or 2009. To qualify, I'll have to be able to run a marathon at a 7:23 pace. Right now, just breaking 8:00 for a mile is tough. So I plan to focus on speed for several months and not worry too much about long runs. I'm going to try to run a 20 minute 5k, then increase my distance and identify a Boston qualifier marathon to attempt. I'll also do some half marathons and other distances along the way. I don't think 2008 is even close to realistic, so I'm focusing on 2009. I hope to do some half marathons in the winter, then a full marathon in the spring, then plan on some marathons in the winter of 2008/2009 as my qualifying races. We'll see; it may all be a pipe dream!

6 comments:

Mark said...

Cool! Welcome ...again! :)

Jack said...

I've been browsing following your racewalking blog for quite some time, it will be interesting to follow your new journey. Have fun!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Welcome to the running world, Marshall! Ofcourse, you can still do the ultras, just a little faster. :)

Harriet said...

Actually Marshall, you don't have to discard your walking completely; it is wonderful cross training for those off days.

And you'll never know when you'll have the itch to return. There are those who have had great success in both running and walking (Ray Sharp, for example)

BTW, you've got the talent for a BQ.

BTW, just to egg you on a little bit, here are my (pathetic) running PRs

mile 5:30 (5:54 as a master)
5K 18:57 (20:30 as a master)
10K: 39:50 (42:27 master)
half marathon 1:34 (master)
marathon 3:33 (3:38 master)

So go ahead and tease me as you knock off these times. ;-)

ollie

Chris said...

good for you will look forward to hearing progress,

chris

Julie B said...

Hi Marshall, you'll love your running. The BQ will be no problem, you aren't that far off from the speed as it is right now. There are so many distances to choose from. From 5K to 135+ miles. No problem!